Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Uneasy

Sometimes I get the distinct feeling that consciousness might be an inconsequential aspect of a living organisms.

I don't say that because I think consciousness and/or experience doesn't matter. Clearly it does.

Whether you value the experience of consciousness or not, it is an inescapable fact that it serves the species. It enhances the ability for the organism to survive.

Whether the existential aspects of consciousness reflect some other realities of existence really cannot be known. Or maybe it can. I just don't know.

I can imagine how sentience favors survival. But does it reveal a numinous existence?

Can we understand these qualities without either diminishing them to un-relegated biological functions, or elevating them to cosmic significance and destiny?